Thursday, January 13, 2011

Loss

I was talking to Rosey the other night about the loss of her friend Justin. It has been moving to see the amount of people that cared about him, especially the other night at the Turf Club. It had me thinking about loss, and I started thinking of two people from my past. Rob Myslacki, and Mike aka 'BigDuckie'. I miss you both. My friend Paul sent Duckie an email a while back, just to talk to him. Something along the lines of: "Hey mike, miss you, hope your well wherever you are."  Funny thing is he got a response, but not from Duckie, but from his brother. He said Mike had passed a few years ago, No shit Sherlock.

I have also been dealing with the loss of my ipod. It sounds pathetic, but have you ever had something you relied so much on just disappear? Maybe it didn't just disappear, but due to your lack of responsibility, it is now gone. We (maybe just westerners) give mechanical devices personality, giving our vehicles names, or naming your mp3 player.

His name was not Robert Pulson, but 'Eat Shit'. If someone did jack my ipod, I hope they are eating shit, and continue to eat said shit as they listen to my collection of music.

I lost it in San Jose del Cabo. One day I was listening to it at 'La Semilla' and the next it was gone, just vanished. I ha no idea where I left it, and it still hasn't shown up.

Years...

For years I used that little black magic box to escape, escape to another place. Escapism. We all have one, reading a book, drinking, drugs, and even fucking. Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. That little box traveled with me to countless countries... so many adventures.

 And the rituals!

Whenever I was stuck on the side of the road, I would play 'Against Me! As the external cowboy'. A tradition started in New Zealand years ago. I was stuck on the side of the road, having a heavy load coming around after a night of drinking with some local Maoris. My hat kept getting blown off by all the trucks driving by, and there was no paper in my pack, and no toilet in sight. I needed something to distract me, and for some reason that was Against Me! I got picked up minutes later after singing along at the top of my lungs.

I did not shit myself that day. But life is all about timing. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment